Held in the Cradle of Imagination

>> Monday, March 22, 2010

Somewhere in the nooks of my yellowing cabinet at our old home in Las Piñas, is my musty copy of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll. I remember skimming through it as a kid, didn't really chew every word I read, and wishing now that I have, thinking I can just spend my weekend devouring it just like my old days as a kid.

I caught the last run of the movie for that day (Tuesday) in 3D, nonetheless. Despite the discomfort of wearing the Dolby glasses, my eyes went bigger and bigger as I took in the rich colors and the intricate cinematography of the Tim Burton movie. I've read mixed reviews about it and despite not being able to remember a clear picture of how my imagination ran those days. I expected to think it was so so, or annoying at worst, what with my most hated actress ever, Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen (Queen of Hearts). Much to my surprise, my liking for Carter's portrayal, as well as her quirky quips left my lips smiling and my heart skipping rope on its cage.

Image source // Refer to watermark

Imagination. It was my one collective takeaway from the wonderland that is Alice and the other characters. Six impossible things before breakfast. All the best people are mad.. There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter. Muchness. Have you any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?

It's been four years since I've officially left school, since I've officially lost a chain that connects to a license I could use to call myself a kid. I've drowned in a sea of thoughts on how to rationalize things, of how everything should be on x and y and has to make sense.To me, being a grown up in an adult world required every inch of my brain to be fully rational, to be practical and to be sensible.

I miss being a child and being held in the cradle of imagination.

r u s s March 24, 2010 at 2:52 AM

Every little girl must have had an Alice in Wonderland.Ü I must be the only person who hasn't watched this film, shame on me. I should find time to see it.

Frances Amper Sales March 24, 2010 at 11:31 PM

My goodness, I'm the only person I know who devoured Alice in Wonderland! Everyone got too creeped out by it. Even now, I don't know how many Alice editions I have--and I keep buying more!

And wasn't Helena GREAT? Helena was so good, I found Anne annoying! And she's supposed to be the good guy!

teeyah. March 25, 2010 at 11:27 AM

@Russ: At least you've read it like how it should be. Ako kasi I didn't read it, parang skim lang talaga :( Shame on me, I'm buying the new editions of it! :)

@Frances: True! You're the only one who really devoured it and I'm gonna follow your example :) I guess I was creeped out when I read it as a kid. I didn't like Anne at all. She looked like she was sick or something :(

Denise March 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM

oh just watched it on my birthday with my college friends and it was fun.

i forgot how much i love the words muchier, and muchness.

have a great day gorgeous!

I am Denise Katipunera

sab March 29, 2010 at 12:21 AM

bebe! i miss you!!! :D

teeyah. March 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM

@Denise: Super fave ko din muchness :D Have a good day yourself, gorgeous :)

@Sab: Miss you lots! Let's make kwento over at Bo's soon!