Snippet of a Conversation with My Mama

>> Wednesday, May 26, 2010

*2AM, Manila time*

Mama: Why did you call nga?
Me
: I told you, I can't sleep.
Mama
: There’s something you need to tell me, no?
Me
: (la di da for two hours)…
Me: Kasi Mama, there’s this guy, okay?
Mama
: Hmm, told you.
Me
: I really like him. But I don’t know if he likes me.
Mama
: Why's that?
Me
: He told me he really likes me. And I was shocked beyond belief and told him I thought it was nothing.
Mama
: Did you actually think there'd be fireworks?
Me
: Nope, I really, honestly thought it wasn't anything more than I don't know? Friendship?
Mama
: You didn’t expect him to stay around asking you on dates for two years now just for nothing, did you?
Me
: Isn't there supposed to be something else? Like a candle-lit dinner with an orchestra, theatrics of some sort? Crying? Getting down on one knee? Flowers?
Mama: Anak, hindi ka na high school.

My Mama.
FTW.

Manila Girl May 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Awww. :-) Your mom sounds like mine - a sensible woman who tells it like it is. Hehe. Most of the time that's just what we need, right? :-)

// krissy ♥ May 26, 2010 at 8:58 AM

If this is Facebook I'd click on Like wholeheartedly, but since it's not, I'd just say I like this post very much :)

...crickette... May 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM

awwwwwwww... ur mom is so cute! oo nga naman teeyah, u're not in HS na... tsk tsk tsk!

sugar sugar May 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Hahaha! Parents really have a way of delivering the weirdest lines. :)

^_^

Tisha May 26, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Hahaha! Winner!

Hmmm...would you prefer a really great guy who doesn't put on a show to profess his love (er, "like"), or a super romantic a-hole? Haha. Just think about it. Romance comes in unexpected packages!

Teeyah. May 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM

@Manila Girl: Yes! Agree! :)

@Krissy: Aw, thanks, dear! I still laugh at that conversation till now :)

@Dang: Hehehehe. Regards to Neneth!

@Crix: IKR??? :D And what a way to realize I'm not young anymore to have these delusions on love, (to borrow Tisha's line).. err, like :)

@Sugar Sugar: True! :) My mama pa naman is sarcastic and funny at the same time.

@Tisha: FTW! :) I love your comment. Now that I am indeed not in high-school anymore, I realized, I like the one who actually stood there silently kesa the a-holes who gave me the skies and the moon and then headaches when I discovered he was cheating on me pala. I love your comment!!! :)

Mari May 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM

your mom is sweet, and she knows what you need. im also thinking things like those candle light things and all. XD if it happens to me, i'll feel like im in a fairy tale.

Pammy May 27, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Your mom is both sensible and cute and she knows exactly the right words to tell you. Such a cool mom as you can talk to her about a guy at 2 o'clock in the morning. :P

My fave line, "Anak hindi ka na high school." - somewhat sarcastic but makes a lot of sense. :P

Teeyah. May 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM

@Mari: Well, ako din before! :) And a girl can wish, right? But I love it better that the one I like likes me back and that I like him despite the lack of theatrics -- rather theatrics I never took notice of until my Mama told me yun na yon LOL.

Ahh. The feeling of being in like. It's like having a school girl crush all over again.

@Pammy: TRUE! My Mama is my idol when it comes to sarcasm/funny comments. Panalo talaga sya sa mga ganyan, which is why I miss her even more but at least I'll see her soon :)

Phoebe Katez May 27, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Ate Wilma will always be Ate Wilma. :) hehehe! :)

Teeyah. May 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM

@Phoebe Katez: Di ba? Kaloka si Mama! :D

The Reluctant Stylista May 30, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Panalo ang mommy mo! It's so nice you can talk to her about things like this. :D It sounds like talking to any other girlfriend.

Beauty For A Living May 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Oo nga naman, hija. After high school, there is no such thing as platonic friendships with men. If he asks you out, he's interested in something more than friendship! Tee! Ano ba!?! Ang cute mo!

Teeyah. May 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM

@Alex: May mga pickup lines pa sya na tinuro. Or responses to guys when I have to diss them. Panalo talaga! :) Heehee.

@Frances: Ahihi. Eh kasi eh :D I'll tell you about it when we get the chance to make chika. Hihi. :)

Askmewhats May 31, 2010 at 10:40 AM

your mom is so cute, I feel that I can be friends with your mom too! :) *huge hugs* na miss kita!

Teeyah. May 31, 2010 at 1:10 PM

@Nikki: Hehe, I would have loved my Mama to meet my blogger friends! She will make chika about make up and skincare hehe. :) I miss you lots!

Miss Guimba May 31, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Lol! Your mom's comment made me laugh. Blame it on Hollywood rom-coms, Tara. They've ruined love for us... Happy for you, though.

Teeyah. June 1, 2010 at 12:33 AM

@MG: It could be too much TV/movie-watching! :D And or maybe the Pinoys I dated haha! Thanks, Marj! :)

iyaiyayow June 7, 2010 at 10:15 PM

hahahaha! ayos! go mom! :)