In 1967, Mr. Uemura made history by introducing the first oil-based cleanser to Japan. the cleansing oil's exceptional reputation and gentle effectiveness quickly convinced the public of its skincare benefits and is now an emblematic product of the shu uemura brand.shu uemura website
I've wanted to try the famed shu uemura cleansing oil ever since university days but the practical girl in me has been refusing to spend thousands on a product that bears the possibility of wreaking havoc on my skin. Even until now that I've been earning my own money and is free to splurge, I still haven't had the heart --- until I got to try it, courtesy of Shen, when I won her birthday giveaway [thanks, Shen!]
It was a stroke of luck that Shen's prizes included not one but two types of travel-sized shu uemura cleansing oils, which I've been using for more than a month now. The first one I've tried is the shu uemura cleansing oil premium a/o:
for aging concernsWith the cold weather here in the country, my skin has had a hard time adjusting and thus had been incredibly dry. Despite the moisturizers, the makeup removers I've been using [L'oreal's and The Face Shop] have been adding insult to injury. The cleansing oil from Shen definitely came when I desperately need it.
Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/O is the #1 selling shu uemura Cleansing Oil in the world. A premium anti-oxidant skin purifier that thoroughly cleanses the skin while protecting it against the internal and external aggressions associated with skin aging.
The cleansing oil works like your facial-wash-cum-makeup-remover. Because it is concentrated and oil-based, only a few drops are needed. I never believed this until I got to try and a drop does go a long way.
Ingredients: paraffinum liquidum / mineral oil , zea mays / corn germ oil , carthamus tinctorius / safflower seed oil , cetyl ethylhexanoate , peg-20 glyceryl triisostearate , simmondsia chinensis / jojoba seed oil , polysorbate 85 , sorbitan trioleate , sea water , squalane , macadamia ternifolia / macadamia ternifolia seed oil , tocopherol , isostearic acid , glycerin , c12-15 alkyl benzoate , dicaprylyl carbonate , ethyl oleate , isopropyl myristate , camellia sinensis / camellia sinensis leaf extract , capryl glycol / caprylyl glycol , methylparaben , limonene , hexyl cinnamal , benzyl salicylate , linalool , butylphenyl methylpropional , alpha-isomethyl ionone , parfum / fragrance
What I Loved About it:
- The smell! Seriously. It reminds me of olive oil, which is also used by skincare enthusiasts [of the OCM fame] and it was lovely! The website says that the scent was based on watermelon, jasmine and sandalwood, though.
- It can remove the most stubborn of mascaras. I use Covergirl's Lash Blast [Waterproof] everyday and the shu uemura cleansing oil has helped me strip off the day's makeup.
- No stingy feel. I've used it in my eye area and I didn't feel any sting at all.
- It has moisturizing properties. I still use my one of my HG products, L'oreal Dermo Genesis Facial Foam after I use the cleansing oil and I've noticed that my skin has this added softness, since I've used the oil.
What I don't Like:
- The price. At Php 2,500* for the 150 mL bottle, this baby can be called expensive. It does go a long, long way though so it might be years before you finish off that bottle.
Tips [from the shu uemura website]:
- Use 3-4 pumps of cleansing oil on dry hands.
- Spread gently and thoroughly over dry face.
- Add a few drops of lukewarm water to face to emulsify.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
Hope this review helps! Happy Monday!