On Work

>> Saturday, October 24, 2009

Back in grade school, I always had the concept that adults rarely have fun at work. Having watched too many movies, and Filipino TV series then, I thought that the adult life was composed of dragging yourself to work, hiding from your boss and making a huge decision --- that is quitting your job and becoming your own boss.

I didn't always have my dream job. In fact, I still am not with the job my second grade self had imagined: a news broadcaster. Somewhere during college, I let go of that dream. After all, my degree, Mass Communications, was an area of study that could lead one to places. And places I have been. I've had crappy jobs [one that pays really gooooood but well, it's just not me.] And one that I have now, which pays okay, but is a breeze getting through no matter how tough it has been. In February, I will celebrating my second year in the company and I barely feel like I am that old in there!

So that is why this post is about my work because I'd like to share some of the fun moments I had. Take note, though that this is not at all comprehensive because like normal yuppies, I do sit in front of my computer all day sometimes. I attend meetings where I don't understand what we are discussing and do other things a normal employee does [whatever that is!].

One of the first stuff I had to do at work was pose for product merchandise materials.
This was used for a product billboard in Binondo but was taken off after a year,
to give way to the current campaign.
Yes, in crutches, nonetheless!

Meeting colleagues who does the same work across the other side of the world
and some from Asia, too!
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, 2008

Occasionally picking up the ball for the team [we ended up being champions, too!]

Putting conversational skills to the test with Pia

Occasionally donning a costume [I can't believe I'm posting this here]
but the experience of parading all over Binondo was fun!

Occasional trophy girl, as in yes, handing out trophies onstage!
Unfortunately, no photo in the act but here with the event hosts, Marc Nelson
and Dyan Castillejo.

Live from Petron Macapagal, Sam YG and I were telling everyone
to pass by Macapagal and if we spot them with the special sticker,
the driver will automatically win a trip to Thailand.

A lucky kuya won one of the minor prizes, an iPod Nano.

So that is a little peek of what my work life is --- it's not always advertising, writing, meeting endorsers and fun times. But I'm a happy camper, I enjoy what I do [heck, the passion can be overwhelming, in a positive way, sometimes] and I can imagine growing with the company, the work. To me, that is the most important thing of all.

Hope all of you are enjoying this weekend. I'm off to a birthday party and be a driver to my brother who's leaving yet again for a one-week vacation. Happy Saturday!
Kisses!

sab October 24, 2009 at 4:16 PM

omg T! you look totally adorable in crutches! ahahah! i wanna apply! let's be workmates! your job looks so fun!

Askmewhats October 24, 2009 at 4:39 PM

hahaha that is totally cute! you modeled with crutches?? that is one of a kind! You know what? You do have a great job and jobs doesn't have to be boring!!! I'm glad to see someone enjoying their job, as not everyone feels that! :D You have a wonderful smile no wonder you are up there for everything :)

teeyah. October 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM

@S: And then when we become workmates, we would totally drink every hour! :D It's allowed. Haha.

@Nikki: Which is kinda sad, right? I was hoping in this day and age, everyone would be where they really wanna be but it doesn't always happen. Thanks Nikki. :D Yes, they were real crutches! :)

♥ mia October 24, 2009 at 8:50 PM

wow ur work seems like so much fun!

good thing ur enjoying what u do :)

Steph October 25, 2009 at 1:02 AM

omg im totally jealous of your work haha

xxNikkiDooxx October 25, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Sam YG! Whew. Is he cute in real life?

teeyah. October 25, 2009 at 5:32 AM

@Mia: It's fun! :) But it does have its serious moments which I like, too, for the challenge :D

@Steph: If there's any downside to it, it would be that I am sick of FB because it's part of my job, too :)

@Nikki: Yes, he is. And very nice, too! :)

Gem October 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM

OMG, I don't now what you do exactly but judging it from the pictures, seems like you have a fun job! And meetings with Piolo?! Come on. Super crush ko sha as in I want him to father my children haha! Oh, Bam is my bf's cousin. Hehe small world.

You're so lucky you love your job. I have a crappy job.. that pays thus I'm still with the company. So, sa TEC ang office mo? Hindi kaya we bumped into each other na? I used to work in TEC but our office got transferred to BGC.

Is there an opening? Haha! But I seriously love to apply haha!

teeyah. October 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Hi Gem dear :) Yes, it's fun! I admit I did get starstruck the first time I met Piolo [I mean, who doesn't]. My life was put to risk actually, when the employees found out we had a meeting cos they all wanted to go, haha!

I think I kind of know where you work -- that is because I used to work for the same company! :D It was a teeny bit of stint, actually. And I have to agree, they really pay nice. Kaya lang, I didn't work for the department I wanted to kaya I left. But where you work naman, they do have perks I don't get right now but I'm not complaining. In careers, we never really get everything we want :)

You'd be surprised that there are even better jobs at our company, better than mine and don't worry, as soon as an opening comes up, I will def let you and Sab know asap :)

Oh your BF is cousins with Bam, and you used to work at TEC? Small world talaga, no? :)

We will be transferring soon, too, sa BGC. Sa may 5th St! :D

The NeuroChiq October 26, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Looks fun, sis =) Glad you're enjoying your job!

And cool that we started with our companies on teh same date, so sabay tayo 2 years this Feb no? =)

BTW, Kane Choa of ABS was my former boss in agatep, my mentor & super good friend =) We still meet every now & then. Great guy!

The NeuroChiq October 26, 2009 at 9:57 AM

BTW, is that the MNG turtleneck you got from my blogsale? =D

teeyah. October 26, 2009 at 11:26 AM

@Dang: Yup! :) Same anniv! And yes, that is the MNG turtleneck I bought from you :)

Cabyness October 27, 2009 at 5:20 PM

We almost have the same line of work. Well used to now that Im resigned and now a full time bum haha. But i totally get your line of work. your pictures look like a lot of fun. Maybe when Im done being a bum again I'll consider your line. But I love everything that has to do with Media, TV, FILM, advertising and everything that is Mass Communications! :) Hoorayy!